Busy and stressful days at the workplace often make it more challenging to perform effectively. Some days, you could find yourself barely making headway at the mounting pile work, rushing to meet deadlines, and jugging different tasks at the same time. To stay on top of your game, you need to find ways to boost brainpower and sharpen your mind at work. Here are some nighttime habits that can help you sharpen your mind and improve your mental acuity.
1. Spend some time reading. Sleep strengthens brain recall and improves your ability to access information. You can sharpen your mind by incorporating reading into your pre-bedtime ritual. However, you need to develop the self-discipline to properly pace your reading so as to avoid staying up late into the night just to finish a book or magazine article.
2. Aim for quality sleep. Sleep is one the most powerful tools that can help sharpen your memory and boost your brainpower. You need to work on getting enough sleep every night if you want to be effective and productive at work.
3. Do something to relieve stress. Avoid bringing work at home. Make your home that one place where you can look forward to relax and unwind after a busy day at work. Devote your time at home to relaxing pursuits. Spend your personal time enjoying a good meal, soaking in a scented bath, reading an inspiring book, or listening to soothing music as you get ready to sleep.
4. Practice free-writing. A study shows that writing longhand can be stimulating to your brain. Keep a journal not just to stimulate and exercise your brain but also to write down your thoughts, record ideas, and express yourself.
5. Practice or learn a foreign language. Learning a new language is an excellent exercise for the brain. You can benefit personally or professionally if you learn a new language. Carve out some time each night to work on your writing, reading, and speaking skills on a foreign tongue of your choice.
6. Practice mindfulness or meditation. Meditation is a great way to manage your stress and prevent mental conditions such as anxiety and depression. It can also boost mental clarity, concentration, focus, decision-making skills, and creativity. Make meditation a part of your daily routines and you will soon experience the many benefits the ancient practice gives.
7. Visualize. Prepare for another day at work by visualizing the outcomes you want to happen and create an internal dialogue that would keep you motivated to accomplish it. Do not dwell on negative thoughts. Instead, acknowledge them and shift your focus towards the good things you intend to happen.